Sunday, April 25, 2010

The Green Softness

Almost from the moment I became vegan many friends and acquaintances have confessed thinking deeply (and secretly) about veganism, animal rights, the necessity of killing animals, etc. Some have even considered doing it themselves. Some have moderated their animal intake. A few have even taken the leap towards veganism.

All of this without me inviting them to do shit, without me preaching nothing to them. Mind you, I am full of possible sermons I would LOVE to give; I am packed with statements I would want to jam down people's ears; but I have always instinctively felt that in the case of veganism (dealing with something so culturally significant and so personal as food) it is better to lead by example. People are naturally curious as to why I made the choice, and they ask. And I pleasantly answer. I already have the story all weaved out. My thesis, Peter Singer, joke, seeing the light, joke, personal benefits, how fun it is to cook vegan stuff, an environmental micro-statement, etc.

But, it is HARD. Because, yes, while I do think that it is more efficient to just let people be themselves and not throw sermons at them, I REALLY believe that people eating animals just because their taste buds control them ('ooohhhh, I see, but I just love lamb shanks soooo freaking much!!!!) is morally wrong. Period.

Most people, I think, do it just because of good ol' ignorance. They just don't know. I was one of them. That's perfectly fine with me. I am neither the most compassionate guy around, nor the smartest...and I changed. So, I assume that if I could do it, anybody can. But then there are those who DO know or understand, and who feel threatened, or feel judged by me (they are right about that one!), and they want to fight...and I am all Ric Flair baby, go for it, swing my way.

What is strange is that for those, I ALSO have a standard answering kit. It is louder, more strident, more aggressive, but the message is the same: try not to hurt other sentient beings unnecessarily asshole, you know better.

It is such a hippie, Jesus-wannabe answer!!!! Behind all the ethical paraphernalia that's what it all boils down to. Such a huge lifestyle change because of such a trite and common-sensical reason. Yes, that's the truth. There is nothing glamorous about it.

I try hard to be soft when a dead-ender comes my way. Because I have realized that the real reason I get mad is because it still maddens me how being vegan has unexpectedly changed other areas of my life as well. That is the most dramatic change. It is not about not having lamb shanks.

Believe me: if you are willing to question how and what you eat, you are willing to question the way you do almost everything. And that means a richer, but more difficult and complex, sense of what the human will and freedom are. You just learn not to operate by following your 'gut' automatically. And at times that can be paralyzing, frustrating and exhausting. The truth is that while I am way beyond those mythical lamb shanks, I am still adapting.

No comments:

Post a Comment